Love the iPad. I take it to every meeting. Recently started connecting it via VGA adapter to projectors and monitors for presentations I give. But I have to admit I am pretty disappointed that unlike a laptop, not everything you see on the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch screen will appear on the attached projector/monitor.
You’ll need to test in advance so you don’t look foolish.
From what I’ve tested and learned, the iPad, iPad 2 (+ presumably the 3rd gen “new” iPad), iPhone 4, iPod Touch (4th gen+), these apps that I own have worked with the VGA adapter:
- Photos slideshow (loaded into device from iPhoto)
- Videos (loaded into device from iTunes)
- Adobe Ideas
These apps I own do not work:
- Safari browser
- Google Earth
- Talk Timer
- Photoshop Express
- Charge your iPad before a long presentation because you can’t charge your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch while the VGA adapter is plugged in.
- Audio is only played through iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch’s speakers.
- Can’t display Safari web browser if you need to show websites in real time. (Work around is to take screenshots and embed in Keynote before your meeting.)
- Can’t display PDF files. I tried using iBook, as well as accessing from Dropbox and Box.net apps.
Please share your experience with any apps I didn’t mention in the lists above.
Hope you find this helpful.