I’ve noticed that there are quite a few “website designers”* who are spreading poor advice around, due to their lack of knowledge and/or experience with Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
They tell business owners to start writing a new blog without any sort of strategy in mind. It gets setup separately on some free blogging site like Blogger.com. The author write a few articles, gets frustrated and quits.
Why Add A Blog?
The purpose of publishing a business-related blog is to:
- Continually add new, useful, keyword-rich content to the website to help increase the chances of being found in search engine results.
- Demonstrate your subject matter expertise.
- Allow prospects to get a sense of your personality.
What Are They Doing Wrong?
- Failing to combine the new blog within the domain name of the existing business website.
- Failing to link from blog posts to pages within the business website.
- Failing to write blog posts without a keyword strategy.
- Driving people away from the business website via link to the blog hosted somewhere else.
- Not having any measurement tactics (website analytics) in place to understand where the visitor comes from, how they found the website, and what they look at.
If you have an established business website, absolutely integrated a new blog into it. Any qualified web developer would know how to make it seamlessly make it part of an existing website.
Hope you find this helpful. If you’ve had a bad experience, please add a comment below.
*Note: Regarding the term “website designers”, this is a commonly used generic term that applies to someone who builds websites for a living. Their skills might be stronger in either technology or creative design.