To make it even more of a challenge, projects are being dumped on you from all corners of the company and you are being pressured to start showing some activity. So where do you begin?
How To Start Marketing When You’ve Inherited A Mess
Freeze everything. Don’t renew or activate anything new. Instead:
- Determine who the main stakeholders and decision makers really are.
- Identify their goals for your upcoming new fiscal year.
- Analyze what your primary competition is doing well/poorly.
- Confirm what the key performance indicators (KPI) and how you’ll measure success.
- Prioritize what is reasonable to achieve.
Then spend the next few months:
- Defining the tactics
- Defining necessary budget
- Create your timeline(s)
- Get decision maker approvals
- Start executing
It’s the reasonable way to do your job properly. Otherwise, you’ll just tread water and never get ahead.
Of course, you can always hire an experienced marketing consultant to help you wrangle it all. :p
What are your thoughts? Please leave a comment below.